Position Announcement—July 2021
English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
Asheville, North Carolina
The mission of Literacy Together is to transform lives and communities through the power of literacy. Our vision is for a just and equitable community in which literacy is accessible and achievable by all. We serve students of all ages in four programs: Adult Literacy, Youth Literacy, English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), and Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library®. We have seven full- and/or part-time staff members, and more than 250 volunteers. Detailed information is available on our website at lit-together.org.
Literacy Together is seeking an experienced and passionate candidate to serve as an ESOL Associate. The ESOL program provides adult English learners with professionally trained volunteer tutors who teach them individually or in small groups for at least two hours per week. The ESOL Associate will assist the ESOL Director with all aspects of program management.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Frequent communication via calls and texts with students (in Spanish) and volunteers (in English)
- Orienting, registering and assessing students
- Printing/copying/distributing class materials to students and tutors
- Assisting ESOL Director with maintaining waiting list and training volunteer tutors
- Maintaining accurate records in database
- Teaching one or more ESOL classes
- Bilingual fluency and literacy in English and Spanish
- Experience teaching adult ESOL
- Very strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Experience with data management, keeping detailed records, compiling reports
- Strong computer literacy including Google Workspace (Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Gmail)
- Willingness and ability to work both collaboratively and independently
- Willingness and ability to use personal device(s) for calls/texts/Zoom meetings
- Some evening availability
- TEFL/TESOL certification
Compensation and Hours
This is a 20-hour/week position that pays $18,000 per year. Literacy Together offers a flexible work schedule and a generous time off package.
All seven current staff members are fully vaccinated. Out of concern for vulnerable populations whom we serve, including those who are unable to vaccinate due to health reasons, we strongly encourage all staff and volunteers to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Anyone who is unvaccinated is required to wear a mask at all times when in our office and/or interacting with clients or staff, and unvaccinated staff may be required to undergo periodic COVID -19 testing.
We center equity in our hiring process. Literacy Together strives to foster leadership and raise the voices of historically marginalized people, including but not limited to Black people and people of color, indigenous and native people, LGBTQ and gender non-conforming people, disabled people, immigrants, and low-income people. We strongly encourage candidates of these and other diverse backgrounds to apply.
Please send a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications, along with a resume by email to: [email protected] Use the subject line: “ESOL Associate Position” plus your last name. *No phone calls please*. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Start date will be as soon as possible.