We are just over a month away from our largest event of the year. Thursday November 29 we have the honor of hosting Barbara Kingsolver as the featured author at the 11th Annual Authors for Literacy Dinner & Silent Auction.
Every year before the dinner and presentation, we have an amazing silent auction of generously donated items from local artists, restaurants, theaters, museums, and others.
We will feature a “Buy It Now” section as we did last year. If you choose to Buy It Now (either at the bottom of a regular item’s bid sheet or by purchasing a specialty “Buy It Now Only” item), you may pay for Buy It Now items on the spot, without waiting in the check-out line at the end of the evening.
THREE ADVANTAGES TO BUY IT NOW:
- No one can out-bid you
- You may check out any items that you purchase at a Buy It Now price immediately
- Your gift will make a significant difference for Literacy Council students
This year we will also be offering some new options for a more speedy checkout–be sure to bring your mobile device if you don’t want to wait in line!
We are so appreciative of our in kind donors that make this auction possible.
As we quickly approach voter registration deadline, the Literacy Council of Buncombe County urges tutors and students to register to vote in these very important midterm elections. If you have moved, changed your name, or changed your party affiliation, you are required to update your voter registration by Oct. 12. If you are unable to vote on Nov. 6, the last day to request an absentee-by-mail ballot is Oct. 30. You may also choose to register and participate in early voting at the same time with same-day registration, from Oct. 17 through Nov. 3. To find your polling site to vote on Nov. 6 election day, click here.
Legislation is complex and often uses target language to appeal to certain audiences, and many of us can find political jargon difficult to digest. This may be especially true for speakers of other languages and people with fewer literacy skills. Furthermore, there is much controversy surrounding the transparency of the six proposed North Carolina constitutional amendments that will grace the bottoms of our ballots. We strongly encourage tutors to provide non-partisan guidance to help legally-able students register to vote, familiarize themselves with candidates, and seek clarification about the proposed amendments. Click here for a comprehensive guide to candidates, or here for a sample ballot for your district.
Registration Deadline for November Election
One-Stop (Early Voting) Begins
Deadline to Request Absentee Ballot for November Election
One-Stop (Early Voting) Ends
As a nonprofit, we are nonpartisan and do not endorse or oppose any political candidates.
Community in Action is a new program by Blue Line Media designed to grant money (i.e., donation) to worthy nonprofit organizations. Blue Line Media understands that grants/donations are the lifeline of organizations that work to improve other people’s lives. Grants will be made to those organizations that show a need for dollars to enhance their community.
We appreciate this support from Blue Line Media, every dollar helps to support a student to reach his/her literacy goals.
Increased literacy and English language skills not only provide confidence, but give students the tools they need to change the trajectory of their lives.
Adults with increased literacy and English language skills are better able to participate in our local workforce, economy, and community. Children who can read, write and spell at grade-level have the basic skills they need to be successful in every subject. Through three tutoring programs, over 300 students of all ages increase these skills each and every year.
The Literacy Council of Buncombe County is seeking an experienced and passionate candidate to lead the organization’s Adult Education and Augustine Project programs. These two programs provide tutoring to adults and children who struggle with reading or who are low-literate. Many students in both programs have learning differences, like dyslexia, and live in low-income households.
The Adult Education & Augustine Project Director plans, coordinates, and implements all aspects of the Adult Education & Augustine Project programs, including: training volunteer literacy tutors, performing student intakes, matching students with tutors, tracking student progress, overseeing budget expenditures for instructional materials and curricula, and providing ongoing support to tutors and students. The Adult Education & Augustine Project Director sets goals for program development that are aligned with the organization’s strategic plan and budget.
- A deep commitment to providing educational opportunities to economically disadvantaged adults, youth and those who are from other cultures
- A bachelor’s degree in education or related field
- Experience with multisensory instruction, familiarity with Fundations and/or the Wilson Reading System and/or related approach to teaching reading and spelling
- Experience with program evaluation
- Volunteer management experience
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to work effectively with the Board of Directors, students, volunteers, staff, and others
- Ability to be self-directed and work independently, yet collaborate effectively within the organization and in the wider community
- Exceptional organizational skills with an ability to balance competing, changing priorities
- Ability to provide sensitive, constructive feedback and instructions to tutors
- Available to work an average of one evening per week.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office
- Master’s Degree in education, reading, curriculum, special education, or related
- Experience working with low-income or at-risk adults and/or children
- Experience with program databases
Compensation and Hours
This position is full-time exempt. Annual compensation is $36,000. The Literacy Council offers ten paid holidays and a generous PTO package. The Literacy Council does not provide health benefits at this time.
To apply, please send a letter of interest, resume, and three references via email only to: email@example.com.
Application Deadline: May 25, 2018