Update March 20, 2017: This position has been filled.
The Literacy Council of Buncombe County is seeking an experienced and passionate candidate to lead the organization’s Adult Education and Augustine Project programs. These two programs provide tutoring to adults and children who struggle with reading or who are low-literate. Many students in both programs have learning differences, like dyslexia, and live in low-income households.
The Adult Education & Augustine Project Director plans, coordinates, and implements all aspects of the Adult Education & Augustine Project programs, including: training literacy tutor volunteers, performing student intakes, matching students with tutors, tracking student progress, overseeing budget expenditures for instructional materials and curricula, and providing ongoing support to tutors and students. The Adult Education & Augustine Project Director sets goals for program development that are aligned with the organization’s strategic plan and budget.
- A deep commitment to providing educational opportunities to economically disadvantaged adults, youth and those who are from other cultures
- A bachelor’s degree in education or related field
- Experience with multisensory instruction, familiarity with Fundations and/or the Wilson Reading System and/or related approach to teaching reading and spelling
- Experience with program evaluation
- Volunteer management experience
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to work effectively with the Board of Directors, students, volunteers, staff, and others
- Ability to be self-directed and work independently, yet collaborate effectively within the organization and in the wider community
- Exceptional organizational skills with an ability to balance competing, changing priorities
- Ability to provide sensitive, constructive feedback and instructions to tutors
- Available to work an average of one evening per week.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office
- Master’s Degree in education, reading, curriculum, special education, or related
- Experience working with low-income or at-risk adults and/or children
- Experience with program databases
Compensation and Hours
This position is full-time exempt. Annual compensation is $36,000. The Literacy Council offers ten paid holidays and a generous PTO package. The Literacy Council does not provide health benefits at this time.
To apply, please send a letter of interest, resume, and three references via email only to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Deadline: March 12, 2017