Don’t Worry, BEE Happy!
The Spelling Bee is back for its 27th year
Bibliophiles, word-nerds, and linguists: Save the Date!
Wednesday April 4, 2018
at The Mothlight
Recruit two friends to complete your team and sign up to compete in the most spirited and outrageous word challenge of your lives. Choose your teammates carefully — they must have both spelling and concentration skills in order to disregard the pandemonium caused by a costumed, cheering audience.
How does it work?
- Recruit two friends and register your team by calling 828-254-3442 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Once you register, you’ll get a team packet that includes event rules, study materials, and fundraising suggestions
- Choose your team name and plan costumes (optional, but there are prizes for best costume!)
- Study the word list provided
- Raise funds online or make a personal donation to cover your team’s entry fee of $250
- Encourage your own personal cheering squad to come and support your team from the audience
- It’s fun! Unleash your inner geek and join us for a zany, raucous good time
- You can cheat! Teams that raise funds over the entry fee can pilfer an easier word or purchase clues
- The top finishers win generous prizes, but no one walks away empty-handed. Every speller receives a prize
- Your team could be crowned “Best Spellers in Buncombe County!”
How much does it cost?
Teams contribute a collective $250 to participate. Most teams raise this amount (and more) by encouraging friends, coworkers, family members, and others to sponsor them. We provide access to Give Lively, a fun and simple fundraising web site. Even infinitesimal donations can add up to a cheat-worthy stash! We will also offer some pointers on using social media to reach more people who want to support literacy. You have until the day of the event to raise the funds.
Who is involved?
The Spelling Bee committee is hard at work with the Literacy Council’s staff, planning an unBEElievable event.
Let’s get serious for a moment.
The Literacy Council of Buncombe County works to increase comprehensive literacy and English language skills through specialized instruction by trained tutors and access to literacy resources. In 2016/17, 249 volunteer tutors gave over 16,000 hours of direct reading, writing, and English language tutoring to over 300 students. We also mailed new children’s books monthly to over 600 pre-kindergarten children through Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library. Our students gain self-confidence and develop the self-sufficiency to improve their lives as individuals, parents, workers, and citizens. As always, proceeds from the Spelling Bee benefit the work of the Literacy Council of Buncombe County.
Are you eager to compete?
We limit the competition to 15 teams, so be sure to reserve your spot by contacting LuAnn today at email@example.com or 828-254-3442 ext. 206.