Calling all bibliophiles, word-nerds, and linguists…
The Spelling Bee is back for its 26th year!
Save the Date
The 26th Annual Spelling Bee benefiting the Literacy Council of Buncombe County will be held Wednesday April 5, 2017 at The Salvage Station, 6-9pm
*Please Note: Team Registration is now closed.
Recruit two friends to complete your team and sign up to compete in the most spirited and outrageous word challenge of your lives. Choose your teammates carefully — they must have both spelling and concentration skills in order to disregard the pandemonium caused by a costumed, cheering audience.
How does it work?
- Recruit two friends and register your team by calling 828-254-3442 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Once you register, you’ll get a team packet that includes event rules, study materials, and fundraising suggestions
- Choose your team name and plan costumes (optional, but there are prizes for best costume!)
- Study the word list provided
- Raise funds online or make a personal donation to cover your team’s entry fee
- Encourage your own personal cheering squad to come and support your team
- It’s fun! Unleash your inner geek and join us for a zany, raucous good time
- With comedian David Ostergaard as the emcee, you’ll be laughing the entire evening
- You can cheat! Teams that raise funds over the entry fee can pilfer another team’s word or purchase clues
- The top finishers win generous prizes, but no one walks away empty-handed. Every speller receives a prize
- Your team could be crowned “Best Spellers in Buncombe County!”
How much does it cost?
Teams contribute a collective $250 to participate. Most of our teams raise this amount (and more) through friends, coworkers, family members, and others. We will provide access to CrowdRise, a fun and easy-to-use fundraising web site. Even little donations add up to a cheat-worthy stash! We can also offer some pointers on using social media to reach more people who want to support literacy. You have until the day of the event to raise the funds.
Who is involved?
The Spelling Bee committee is hard at work with the Literacy Council’s staff, planning an unBEElievable event. This year’s volunteer committee is being spearheaded by celebrity restaurateur Joe Scully, 2016 Top Fundraiser Katherine Cross, former speller Lauren Harr and more.
Let’s get serious for a moment.
The Literacy Council of Buncombe County works to increase comprehensive literacy and English language skills through specialized instruction by trained tutors and access to literacy resources. In 2015/16, 200 volunteer tutors gave over 14,000 hours of direct literacy tutoring to 350 students. We work with both native and non-native English speakers to help improve job prospects, ensure parents can help their children in school, and give students support as they enroll in a GED program. The gift of literacy is truly transformative. Our students gain self-confidence and develop the self-sufficiency to improve their lives as individuals, parents, workers, and citizens. As always, proceeds from the Spelling Bee benefit the work of the Literacy Council of Buncombe County.
Are you eager to compete?
We will limit the competition to 15 teams, so be sure to reserve your spot by contacting LuAnn today.
Email email@example.com or call 828-254-3442 ext. 206